How Do I?

* I just moved to Sedgwick, where do I get my utilities turned on at?
(answer) The City of Sedgwick provides your water, sewer, trash and recycling. A Water Service Application form must be filled out and taken to Sedgwick City Hall (511 N. Commercial, between the hours of 8AM and 5PM, Monday thru Friday). You will be required to pay a $50.00 administration fee and have your identification with you. You will receive a monthly bill which includes water, sewer, trash and recycling. This bill will be mailed out on the first of each month and must be paid by 5pm on the 20th of each month so that late charges will not be incurred.

* Who do I contact for the other utilities? (answer) Electric and Natural Gas can be contacted by calling the following companies: Westar Electric...(800)383-1183, Kansas Gas Service...(800)794-4780

* When do they pick up trash & recycling and what trash carts do we use? (answer) The city is provided with trash service from Waste Connections. Beginning in 2013, trash will be picked up at your front curb on Thursday mornings. Note: have your trash/recycling on the curb by 6:00AM! Recycling will be picked up every other Thursday morning. Please see schedule for pickup. Also, beginning in early 2013, Waste Connections will be providing trash carts for residents. Please contact City Hall for more information.

* How do I notify the Police Department to watch my house while I am on vacation? (answer) You can pick up a form at Sedgwick City Hall, 511 N. Commercial or print off a copy of the form here. This form gives the Police Department information on how long you will be gone, who to contact if there are problems, and who is coming and going from your house.

* How do I find out about community events happening in Sedgwick? (answer) This website is a good source of information along with the local Cox cable Channel 7.